A 25-year journalist comments on politics, family, faith, the
community and the world around her.


Sunday, October 25, 2009

'Man did eat angels' food'

Jesus Christ was stabbing me in the throat again last night.
I always take it as a sign from God that I’m headed in the wrong direction when He gouges me with my crucifix while I’m sleeping.
I believe God speaks to us in subtle ways. We just have to be aware.
I always know I’ve really messed up when I go to communion and Jesus’ body gets stuck in my teeth instead of delicately dissolving in my mouth and filling me with the Holy Spirit.
It’s time for a toothpick, some quiet contemplation and a trip to the confessional.
But while He may be great at sending signs, His son will be the first to tell you that God isn’t as forthcoming with His advice. He’s quick to tell you you’re doing wrong. He’s reticent to tell you what you should do to fix it.
That’s when I turn to my Bible: God’s words, flipping through the pages for enlightenment.
That’s just what I did last night after turning on the light and readjusting the pesky crucifix. I wasn’t quite sure where I had erred in God’s eyes but I was certain there was something God needed to tell me.
There, in the Book of Psalms, I stumbled upon the words, “Man did eat angels’ food.”
I had enjoyed a heavenly evening at the Angels Among Us Auction and Dinner for St. Stephen Catholic Church and School the night before. We dined on rare roast beef, mahi mahi, a variety of pastas, chocolate and carrot cake, and sipped fine wines.
It was truly a meal fit for angels. Instead of relishing the opportunity to enjoy an evening of good food and good friends, I was lamenting the fact that I had no money to bid on the variety of goodies being auctioned due to my recent layoff. I found myself wishing I had the freedom to bid thousands of dollars without a qualm like some of the auction-goers around me.
God was sternly reminding me to count my blessings. I had the chance to attend the event, watch the excitement, taste the foods and chat with friends. There were many, many people who could not even afford a ticket to attend the event. In fact, it was partly to help supplement their children’s religious education that the dinner and auction was held.
OK, God. I got the message. You can quit making your son jab me in the neck. It was a glorious evening and I was fortunate to take part in it as a volunteer and participant. Dena Craig, Mel Williams, Jean Weber and the other members of the Angels committee did an extraordinary job putting the event together and raising funds in one of the worst economies we’ve seen in our lifetimes.
If You are willing, my fortunes may change. If they don’t, I count myself fortunate anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment